Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Middle School Jewels-From the Mouths of Babes

We are approximately 3 weeks into our middle-school computer science classes at the Howard University Middle School of Math and Science. All instructors are starting to remember 120 6th-8th graders by name, and the 6 of us (2 faculty, 2 undergrads, 2 grad students) are starting to get hugs, waves, and acknowledgements in the hallway.

One of the best things I love about these kids are the things they say! Who knew that middle-school students were so ABSOLUTELY comical! I think it's the combination of their youth, naivete, and the things they've heard from adults (family, teachers, etc.) that makes what they say so hilarious. Every day, I can guarantee at least 2 students are going to put a smile on my face and guarantee me a laugh. I've listed a few below. I gave them my own names that best describe them (and also protect their identities):
  • Little Lady-the tiniest 6th grader who speaks in a matter-of-fact-yet-monotone voice. Somehow, Little Lady can always answer any question you ask. However, it's going to take her about 5 minutes to do so, because she always provides such an intro to her answer that she forgets exactly what her answer was supposed to be along the way. Most of LL's responses start off great, and almost always end with "umm..I forgot what I was gonna say."
  • Wonder Twins-My 6th grade twins (brother and sister) who are like night and day. Clearly, Jayna(the original Wonder Twin sis reference) is running the show, so much that she will quickly inform the class (if they begin chatting while she's speaking) "EXCUSE ME! I'm talking." Zan (brother) is pretty low-key. Although he will quickly inform his classmates, "why don't ya'll grow up..ya'll are in middle school!" *insert blank stare*
  • Primetime, Maximum Swag, and Silent Assassin-This is my 7th grade trio I like to call "3 the Hard Way." Primetime earned his name because he looks like a young Deion Sanders. He provided today's comic relief when he answered the question "How does a GPS system use computer science?" with "MECHANISMS!!" I asked, "Primetime, what does mechanisms mean?" His response, "I don't know, it just sounded good!" Maximum Swag earned his name from the first day of class. When asked to write one thing he thinks few people know about him, his answer was "that I have maximum swag." *insert another blank stare*. Silent Assassin is the quiet one of the 3. He doesn't comment much, so not much else to say about him. These three always sit together and always have something going on that is comical.
  • Ladies Man-Need I say how this 8th-grader earned his name? Suffice it to say, he is ALWAYS around some girls in the class.
  • #1 Fan-#1 Fan is a 7th-grade female who finds a way to answer ANY question we ask with something related to Trey Songz. Since the class is supposed to include cultural relevance, this is great. As long as she understands the concepts then consider me his #2 fan! On the first day of class, we allowed the students to ask the instructors random questions to learn more about us. #1 proceeds to ask me the following: Who do you like better? 1)Beyonce' or Keri Hilson? (Me: At this point, Keri..to which she was amazed and quite disturbed) 2)Trey Songz or Drake (Me: NEITHER! *insert blank stare by students) 3)Hip Hop or Rap? (Me: Do you know what the difference between the two are? #1:Umm...no)
 As you can see, we have a mix of characters who keep us entertained. Stay tuned. It's only week 4 of 41. I'm sure by June I'll be able to write a NEW book!!! Hold that thought!!

No comments:

Post a Comment