Sunday, September 11, 2011

True Blood, College Prep, and 9/11

Tonight I finally decided to create my new blog. Trying to accomplish this while watching the season finale of "True Blood" isn't that easy though. In addition, I've spent all weekend watching various documentaries and specials on 9/11. So suffice it to say that I'm emotionally all over the place right now. As separate as all these events are, somehow, they actually work together tonight.

I was beginning my second year of graduate school in NC 10 years ago today. I'd been up until about 3am studying for class, and slept in that morning of September 11. When I awoke, I had a number of missed calls from my mom. I checked the voicemail to hear that two planes had hit the World Trade Center. By the time I turned the TV on, a third plane had just hit the Pentagon. I remember taking a second to register what was actually happening, then quickly beginning to call my friends in DC and NY.

I'm fortunate that I didn't lose any friends or family in the devastation of 9/11. But watching all of these specials this weekend has left me in an emotional place. You see, I live only a few minutes from the Pentagon now. I can only imagine the fear that so many people around me felt on that day, and I ache for them on this and every day since.

So what does this have to do with True Blood or college prep you ask? I've been a fan of TB since it's first season. Too bad this wasn't around when I was in high school or college. The entire show is a lesson on tolerance and acceptance. People fear what they don't understand, or what is "different." However, just like Antonia said tonight, "everyone has their place in this world, even vampires." EVERYONE has their place. We must learn to accept different races, ethnicities, cultures, and (even) opinions.

One of the best ways to begin this tolerance and acceptance is to educate ourselves. Education is the path to a better life for one's self and community. With this education comes not only the things we learn in books, but also the things we learn in life. Teach your students that acceptance is an expectation, not an option. Encourage diversity and individuality, so that children learn to appreciate their uniqueness in the world and become leaders for change and not followers of hate. That's what 9/11 and TB have helped us to better understand. The world IS different, filled with people of various beliefs, religions, practices, and more. It's not our place to decide who is right or better. It is our place to accept and appreciate ALL for their unique contribution to this world we live in. Everyone has their place in the world. When you know better you do better.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Washington, you are amazing! I would never have thought to link these things together. to your continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW thanks Georgia! I'm glad my fellow True Blooder approved!!!

    ReplyDelete