Friday, September 16, 2011

Violence on College Campuses

I was preparing to go to bed last night and decided to stay up long enough to catch the first 10 minutes of the 11pm local news. The first story that aired was the murder of a Bowie State University sophomore in her dorm room. At that time, no name was released, and there was no potential suspect named. She was stabbed in the neck. There were a few students interviewed who tried to help the student after hearing screams, but no other news. We also learned this all occurred during the university's homecoming week.

By this morning, it was discussed on the Tom Joyner morning show, including the fact that her roommate turned herself in around midnight, the names of the young ladies, and that a similar incident apparently occurred last week at Florida A&M University. I hadn't heard anything about the incident at FAMU. However, I was very disturbed by this incident at Bowie.

Now I just learned according to the Huffington Post, it was over an iPod...an iPod...an IPOD! AN IPOD!!! Someone is DEAD over an IPOD! I'm angry again over this..

As a college professor, I witness a new wave of students arrive while another group leaves every year. You have students from every kind of background (socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, etc.) possible in one melting pot. I witness young men and women who are homesick, and never really adjust to college life, as well as the social butterflies, who end up enjoying college just a little too much. It's only in the classroom that I start to see how students handle conflict resolution, interpersonal skills, etc.

Suffice it to say that this generation of students are lacking TREMENDOUSLY in conflict resolution skills. While I can readily admit that sometimes I allow my emotions to get the best of me, not ONCE have I ever thought to resolve any argument, disagreement, or issue by attacking someone else. I remember when I was in college (1996-2000), we had fights that occurred on campus between students, but the overall assumption was that any issues regarding roommates, other classmates, professors, etc. could be resolved in a dignified and mature fashion.

I cringe at how quick students are to start with eye-rolling, lip-smacking, and aggressive attitudes when presented with some form of conflict. What's even MORE scary, is that I see this as a FIRST line of defense in the middle-school students I teach as well, particularly the young ladies. There are so many problems this can be attributed to. Of course, we have to start at home. What are parents doing that these kids are emulating? Clearly, a 6th/7th grade girl is emulating some female in her life when doing this. Next, what are we allowing our kids to watch on tv, listen to on the radio, that encourages this type of confrontational behavior? While I'm not a parent, I DO remember how my mother made sure that she always personified the person she wanted me to be. This included how she handled problems with family, friends, co-workers, and more.

I don't know too many people who never had an issue with a roommate in college. It's a part of the process. But it's something you LAUGH about later on. "Look at how stupid and young we were!!!" In a worst-case scenario, you asked that one of you switch rooms. Maybe some things were thrown on the floor, etc. and a screaming match ensued, but never once did we think to physically attack anyone else.


What are we teaching our children regarding conflict resolution? How are we showing our young people that it's ok to fight, attack, and kill? These aren't things we should have to teach teens. This is one of those "everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten" type of incidents. Don't hit people. Don't fight. Treat people the way you want to be treated. When did that become something of the past? And how do we get it back?

Now, we have 2 lives that are cut short in this incident. An 18-year old DC student's life ended last night, at the hands of her 19-year old roommate. These girls hadn't reached 20! Now, a 19-year old student's life has virtually ended, as she's charged with murder. Two girls who were brought to college by their families, not even 1 month ago, expected to learn, graduate from college, and go on to do great things with their lives. Now two lives forever ruined, and two families forever changed as a result.

In the words of Dap (from Spike Lee's "School Daze")..."WAAAAAAAKEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUP!"

No comments:

Post a Comment